Thursday, September 02, 2021

PURPLE HAZE: WILDFIRE SMOKED FRUIT COCKTAIL

 

I am not sure what inspired Jimi Hendrix to write the lyrics

Purple haze all in my brain

Lately things just don’t seem the same

Actin’ funny, but I don’t know why

‘Scuse me while I kiss the sky

but the song he entitled Purple Haze became the soundtrack inspiration I needed to complete a recent fruit canning project that I decided to also call – Purple Haze.  

The project was initiated when I removed from my basement fossil fuel fired, electrically powered, chest freezer – a couple gallons of raspberries (with a few assorted strawberries mixed in), a gallon of elderberries, and a half gallon of rhubarb and placed the fruit-filled plastic bags in large bowls to unthaw overnight.  I had collected and froze the homegrown fruit from this summer’s harvests until I gathered enough to further process and ultimately can, so I could easily eat them during the upcoming winter months.  After combining the semi-thawed multi-colored purple and red fruits in my mother’s old hand-me-down heavy duty aluminum cook pot, I added some maple syrup to the mix to sweeten the pot.  The contents were then stirred, and placed to boil on the blue flamed natural gas burner of my stove.  Then I went outside to check to see if there were anymore ripe elderberries on my backyard shrubs that I could add to the foam-covered purple concoction. 

Besides the additional quart or so of freshly ripened elderberries dangling from the tops of my elderberry bushes, I was also greeted by the smell of wildfire smoke and its visual component, the particle containing haze that turned the distant evergreen trees a softer – whiter shade of blurred gray.  Smoke from the pristine Minnesota Boundary Waters wildfires had made its way to my northwestern Wisconsin town, past my olfactory cells, and into my lungs as well as eyes.  Once again, wildfire smoke was becoming a more common part of my life on planet earth, and I am convinced (despite what I have been told) that my way of life is indeed linked back to the flames producing the smokey haze that seems to fill my days, and sometimes nights.  My way of life is defined by my dependence on the use of fossil fuels to stay alive.  This is not to say that wild fires have not always been a part of this planet, at least as far back as the times when green algae started pumping the combustion source oxygen into our atmosphere a few billion years ago or so.  However, I do believe that the rate at which the planet is currently burning is reaching a peak, at least in it’s recent history, for whatever that belief is worth.

Last year I breathed in, and got a lot of smoke in my eyes, during visits to Colorado, while record setting wildfires burned up hundreds of thousands of acres of Colorado.  This year’s Minnesota burns are relatively small in comparison with only tens of thousands of acres burned so far.  We also got some smoke in the area earlier this summer when wildfires in Canada filled what is often referred to as the “Indianhead” portion of the state, a reference to the profile formed by highlighting the outer boundary of the counties that make up this portion of northwest Wisconsin – at least some name-calling folks saw a stereotypical Indian face in the outline. 

 Fortunately, later on that latest day of smoke, I received a text message on my cellphone from the National Weather Service with the standard government issued “air quality advisory   warning me to avoid exercising and breathing the smoke filled air as best I could, especially if I had lung or heart disease.  I also came across a story on Wisconsin Public Radio, that included the suggestion from Karen Eagle, a senior meteorologist with the National Weather Service – "I know a lot of people in this area don't have air conditioners, but I highly recommend to keep the windows shut. That way the air won't be able to circulate from the outside in, and mask up if they can. I know that sounds kind of weird, but I’m actually sitting in the office right now with a mask on and it's been helpful."      

So returning to the song, reminded me that although Karen’s suggestion was apparently helpful:  

that girl put a spell on me

leaving me to believe that shutting myself off from the outside world, firing up the air conditioner – if I had one, and masking up would be the ticket to the solution to my latest smoke-filled woes.    

But as her spell wore off, I dove further into the latest smoking, and came across a new weather term related to these latest burns - pyrocumulusclouds.  


Mike Lock, the Fire Behavior Analyst for the Gold Team of the US Forest Service, shared with viewers of his video update, that the latest record setting burns where resulting in the creation of these crazy hot clouds.  These lightening filled storm clouds are created when volcanoes or large wildfires heat up lots of air and spew lots of particles into the sky.  These flaming events create cloud conditions where Jimi Hendrix should be advised not to be kissing the sky, unless he masks up with some heavy-duty asbestos lined mask, in order to avoid serious chapped lips, and possibly even third-degree lip-burns.  And the heat and particle generating lightening could really fry the brains of anyone who might be foolish enough to practice sky-kissing when pryocumulus clouds are present.  These twisted tales of extreme weather leave me asking the same thing Jimi asked when he sang:

Purple haze all in my eyes, uhh

Don’t know if its day or night

You got me blowin’, blowin’ my mind

Is it tomorrow, or just the end of time?

Oh well, assuming that it is not the end times Jimi sang about, at least during the next fire related air alert warning when I shut myself up in the house, I will be able to enjoy some sweet purple haze fruit cocktail while I watch the world burn outside my doors.  And if the electricity still works, perhaps crank out some Jimi Hendrix tunes to dance to.  I have a feeling though, that Jimi’s concluding lyrics to his version of Purple Haze will likely be echoing through the halls of my enclosure, whether the power is still on or not

Purple haze, n-no, nooo

 Purple haze, no

its painful, baby

   

1 comment:

Bob said...

I can hear Hendrix now! Thanks Tom